Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Buying the Rentals

Amanda and I watch a lot of movies here in CR. When we moved here, we thought we would be too busy studying (yeah right) to watch much of anything, so neither of us brought many movies. While I was at home for Christmas, I went into Hastings to buy a few magazines for the flight back to San José. We had heard some good reviews on a couple of Spanish flicks, so I wondered over to the Foreign Films section just to check out the prices. I found both movies for ONLY $1.99! I thought well heck, I'm gonna see if I can find any more bargains. After searching high and low, I found 12 movies all priced for ONLY $1.99. I sent Amanda a text telling her "JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!" I was so excited! I had even found some of the coveted classics (like Three Amigos)! I was thinking I stumbled on some 'out of this world, unpublicized, after-Christmas, super movie sale.'  So... I went to pay for my treasure, and the kid at the register asks me if I had my Hastings card with me. I know that I gave him a super weird look and asked him, "Do I need my card to buy these?" And he says, "You can't buy these. These are all rentals.".................


Apparently, after only a few months in a foreign country, it is possible to forget how movie RENTAL stores work.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm not gonna lie. That's really funny. They DID switch up the BUY section and the RENT section though, so I guess it's not completely your fault. Or...it kind of is since there are signs that say buy & rent. :)

Maladoodle said...

I think it is quite comical that you waited until February 18th to tell us this story. =)